Friday, February 10, 2012

Parenting 101--Where did we go wrong?

“By the Power of Greyskull…..I have the POWER.”
It was early Saturday morning 1 week ago, and I was sure that I was dreaming or having some sleep deprived flashback to my childhood.
Then I realized I wasn’t dreaming or imagining things.  I clearly heard a very familiar sound…the roar of the mighty Battle Cat, He-Man’s faithful companion. 
After getting out of bed, I instinctively went to my sons’ room to watch He-Man, only to find them on the floor playing marbles.  Their TV was off.
I heard it again, the sound of He-Man battling the cackling, evil Skeletor. 
Now completely awake, I followed the sound to find something totally unexpected…my 5 year-old daughter in pink cupcake pajamas watching He-Man put the boots to a group of Skeletor’s henchman (Beast-Man, Mer-Man, and Trapjaw). 
She was cheering He-Man and punching along with our hero.
My daughter then admitted that she turned on the TV and the Roku box to get to Netflix (this should have gotten her in trouble but on this day I just couldn't bring myself to get on to her).  She found He-Man on there and started watching it.  Now she’s hooked.  In an explosion of excitement she said,  “Dad, he punches the bad guys….a lot.  It’s awesome.  I want fabulous secret powers.  I love Cringer.” 
Please keep in mind that my daughter isn’t much of a tomboy.  Everything in her room is pink.  She is all girl, all the time.  Almost all of her activities involve Barbie, My Little Pony, Disney Princesses, Hello Kitty, Strawberry Shortcake, etc.  He-Man doesn’t quite fit the pattern of her existence.
Yet, there she was watching one my favorite childhood shows.  
When I told my wife, she laughed and said, “Where did we go wrong?” 
Instead a grin came across my face as I replied,”No…..where did we go right?”
Daddy-daughter TV time is about to get a lot more exciting…

No comments:

Post a Comment