Saturday, January 28, 2012

Second Place is Pretty Darn Good

Second place is being the first loser. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard that. Even Vince Lombardi is noted for saying, “There is no room for second place. There is only one place in my game and that is first place.”

This weekend my sons and I came in second place in a Boy Scout fishing tournament, only missing out of first by 3 ounces. According to Vince Lombardi and many others, I should be very unhappy about coming in second place because I am “the first loser.”

There were over 45 parent/Scout teams at the tournament, and only two teams received an award (1st and 2nd place). Strangely enough, I didn’t see a single person get upset about not winning. I didn’t feel like the first loser, and I don’t think that the other 43 teams felt like losers either.

I had nothing but great joy spending a day with my family, getting an opportunity to fish, and watching my sons’ faces light up as they reeled in one rainbow trout after another. Whether we won or not, I felt like a winner just for being there.

I’ll take being the first loser on this one. Coming in second place wasn’t bad at all. In fact, it was pretty darn good.








No comments:

Post a Comment