Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Pile of Shame

When I was younger, devoting hours and hours to playing video games was easy.  A 100 hour RPG.  No problem, just give me a week to complete it.  Video games were not just a hobby, but a passion, a way of life.   As I have become a “responsible adult” I tend to find less time to game as so much of my life is spent between my family and job.  When I do get the chance, it’s usually playing games with the kids or finding a spare moment to try out something on my iphone.  Regardless, the itch to still be a hardcore gamer never goes away, even if you know you don’t have the time to do so. 
Enter the pile of shame.
What is the pile of shame (AKA the stack of shame)?  It’s the pile of games that people like me buy with good intentions to resume their hardcore gaming ways.  “I’ll carve out some time and then I will play it.”  I have probably said this 1000 times.  I have been able to do it a few times.  Maybe it’s a visit to Mom’s house, going to one of the kids’ events, or just mowing the yard.  The time to sink into a long game just no longer exists.  As a result, the pile just grows and grows.  In looking at my current pile, I found L.A. Noire, which I received last year for Father’s Day.  The game is still sealed and seems to be slowly inching its way up the pile.  I really wanted to play the game when I received it, but life conspired to take that time away.  
Christmas saw the addition of Batman:  Arkham City and The Elder Scrolls V:  Skyrim.   I’ve been saying almost daily that I was going to fire up Skyrim, only to have life remind me that I am no longer a hardcore gamer but a father and husband first, gamer second.  Skyrim, however, is patiently waiting for me at the top of the pile.
I still long to be that gamer of old and sink my teeth into a 100+ hour game.  Will I ever get to?  Of course, I’ve bought the game, and it’s in the pile.  I’ll just carve out some time and play it……

No comments:

Post a Comment