Monday, September 2, 2013

Minecraft and getting old


 


I’ve been obsessed with many video games in my life (Space Invaders, Shining Force, and Super Mario 64 to name a few), and my life seemed to center around them, if for a short period of time.  The games, however, made sense to me.  They were fun and logical.

Enter Minecraft.  My sons and all of their friends love Minecraft.  They play it constantly and discuss epic tales of digging, battling creepers, making crafting tables, and more digging...lots and lots of digging.  They watch youtube videos for hints and suggestions on….you guessed it….Minecraft.  One of my sons is now making a “Hunger Games” map so that he and his friends can “fight for survival.”

I’ve tried to get into Minecraft a few times.  I don’t understand it.  It seems boring and slow.  I will admit that there is a unique creativity to the game, and I guess that causes people like my kids to be hooked on the virtual crack known as Minecraft.  Personally, I would rather just have a large pile of Legos if I am going to build something.

I must be getting old.  Way too many folks play Minecraft on PC and XBOX 360.  I’m just not one of them.  Minecraft ignorance is bliss, and I am the most blissful person in my household.     

1 comment: